Anna Jelinek talks about why LBSU and why it was a perfect fit for the Lincoln, NE OH. Here are some quotes and answers to questions we gave the new 49er 2025 verbal as we interviewed her shortly after her announcement:
- Did Tyler Hildebrands Nebraska ties have anything to do with your commitment? "Yes of course it was nice to look around and see him watching my matches because he was a familiar face. He's been around our program for year's and is friends with my coach, so it was a very easy fit."
- Are you worried about the distance at all? "I'm a beach girl so this is perfect. I wanted to go somewhere in a location like this and Long Beach just had the perfect vibe."
- Who were your finalists? Up until a couple days ago my finalists were LBSU, Hawaii and UCLA. Like I said I'm a beach girl and all of them had similar experiences. i really became close with the coaches for all three schools, but I had to call them and tell them I was making the best decision for myself and future."
- What do you know about the tradition of Long Beach State VB? I know that Tyler played here and I know they have won multiple National Championships. I know coach wants to bring back that type of culture and tradition so that excites me"
- Talk about your club team and that experience....."Man it's different our Synergy Team. We have been together for 9 years that usually doesn't happen so we just have such a close bond and we play so well together. Those girls literally are like family and we had such a great season."
- Do you worry at all about leaving home? "Like I said Tyler feels like family and actually Long Beach has a similar vibe as back home, that's why I liked it. It's like Nebraska with Palm trees.
- What do you do for the rest of your summer? "Well I'm down here for camp so first thing I'm going to do is work on a couple other recruits and get them to come join me in winning at LBSU. Then I have a little down time before high school season starts. So I'm glad to be committed so now I can relax just a bit."
Other news and notes on some road warriors:
- Little by little seeing some names at the Husker Dream Team Camp. Headlined by Lincoln setter Malorie Boesiger (a Synergy teammate of Jelinek and top 2027 prospect). Halle Thompson of Houston Skyline was also in Lincoln.
- Class of 2026 S/RS Kenlee Barnard is putting in a week for the books. She started today at Purdue's Prospect Camp. She will attend 3 more Power 5 camps (Ohio State next) in the Midwest this week and then go to Florida for the NTDP training series. Exposure for sure, but that's a long week excited to check in with her after the journey.
- 2027 6'2" Middle Hitter Abby Faber was in Happy Valley taking part of the Penn State Elite camp. Interesting to hear what the California prospect thought about the Eastern side of the country.
- Reports out of the UA Next Staff said that the Chicago event "was the deepest and most competitive yet and we handed out 5 automatic invites." That should bring the total to 13 given out about half of the total and their are two more events on their tour (California and Minneapolis)
- Another top 2027 Setter from the Midwest is making the camp tour as Ellery Deboer (Minnesota) attended the Chicago UA Next event, then headed to Purdue's Prospect camp Saturday and is on her way to attend Wisconsin's Prospect camp Monday and Tuesday.